Satellite hot picks: week of July 17th
Each week, Satellite Records download store will be presenting the most cutting edge EDM, so that Elektro readers can find out about the latest up and coming producers in Bass Music and EDM – this week featuring Dubstep, Electrohouse, Juke/Footwork, Glitch Hop, and more! Satellite will provide quick write-ups of each track so you can find out more about the artists, labels and music trends. If you like the tracks you can pick them up using discount code ELEKTRO after you click buy and get 40% off . Be sure to follow Satellite on twitter at and on Facebook at for more recommendations throughout the week.
Click play on the player and listen to samples of all 10 tracks right here, click on the buy button to check the chart out on Satellite’s site and explore the rest of each release (clicking buy does not automatically have you buy it or put it in your cart, it just links you to the chart and if you click on the track it will show you the entire release):
1) Nishin Verdiano & AK9 – Sun Goes Down – Simplify Recordings – Simplify Recordings who have a great track record of ground breaking Bassmusic are at it again. Longtime EDM producer Damian Kotwica, better known as Nishin Verdiano, started as a hip hop and r&b producer. In total he produced 3 full albums and about 80 singles under the nickname Razor, and then moved into producing hardstyle and oldschool hardcore (Gabber), while simultaneously producing Drum & Bass. After some time spent focusing on producing other artists, in 2011 Damian decided to start releasing his own music. Evolving into a bassmusic producer of Dubstep and ElectroHouse, he’s has made about 60 tracks under alias Nishin Verdiano which is one of his 10 aliases. He teams up with AK9, Polish producer Artur Kurzynski, who had recently been on Nishin’s Allusion Record label. They team up to create a brilliant releases in the very cutting edge Midtempo genre. The release features remixes by Ravager, Blunt Instrument and Frenik in the Drum and Bass, Drumstep and Dubstep genres click the chart to check them all.
2) Farleon – Millenium – Funkk Sound Recordings – This smooth piece of Progressive ElectroHouse comes from Farleon aka 18 year old Kazakhstani producer Sultan Karimov. A self-taught musician, music began for him at the age of 3 years when he was given a Yamaha PSS 51 synthesizer. Originally influenced by Hip Hop, he first tried his hand at that, but then turned his career to electronic music in mid-2010. He teamed up with the talented producer Rabbit Killer. Trying to create something unusual, they create the first joint track “Superhero”, in the style of 8-bit and signed at the “Sick Slaughterhouse Recordings”, a well regarded bassmusic label. After three collaborations with Rabbit Killer, Farleon created his first solo tracks in 2011, bringing us to now, with this great release on Funkk Sound. Funkk Sound Recordings was started in 2010 out of Calgary, Canada bringing great bassmusic out to the world – be sure to keep an eye on them!
3) Cosmo – Close To Your Heart – Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Records – Miami based Cosmo weighs in with an top notch vocal Dubstep production. Brett Thorngren aka Cosmo is a New York Native from Brooklyn and has been kicking around electronic dance music and indie rock scenes since the early 90′s. He started out DJing around clubs in Miami and later became a member of the rock band Muse Circa 94′ (Lava/Atlantic records). He toured US and Canada with Beck, LusciousJackson, Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jr, Collective Soul, Live, Silverchair, and 311. In 1999, COSMO left Muse to join Astralwerks recording artists, Metrodub (Miami, Florida). Getting back to his Miami DJ roots, he toured with Chemical Brothers,Daft Punk, and Fat Boy Slim. Cosmo was a resident at Liquid, Bar Room, Chili Pepper, and Level. He wrote and produced a handful of dance records, some released internationally, on various labels(Universal, Filtered, Neo Records) from 1998 on. From this point in his career, Cosmo was able to work on his skills as a music producer and engineer. He produced various indie rock bands and worked as Barry Gibb’s (Bee Gees) personal engineer on several projects, including the 2005 Barbara Streisand album (which earned him a gold record). 2005, Cosmo moved to Brooklyn with his electro/punk group, The Junkies. Their EP was released on multiple labels in multiple countries. Now Cosmo (Brett Thorngren), has started of his new label “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Records” and is set to release a slew of dance floor bangers. The first on the label that you’re getting to hear here features acclaimed Australian singer/songwriter, Adaja Black. Obviously this is a man and label to watch and you can say you found out about it here first!
4) Koloah & FTCT – Break Up – It’s A Bass Thing - A very cool track in the juke/footwork genre – this isn’t to be missed. Koloah & FTCT is the first release on IABTrecords who are off to a great start. Both of them have been making waves in Kiev and Moscow over the last year and are now starting to prick ears in the bass scene right across the globe. Individually they have their own unique styles and an already burgeoning catalogue of unreleased solo material. “Break Up” takes the A-side of this first release and doesn’t take long to launch you into thumping kicks and engulfing sub frequencies. The haunting vocals draw you in deeper to the huge sound-scape this track paves out for itself. A potential cross-over track that will come alive on any big system willing to take it on. “Icicle” is on the flip and deservedly takes the double A title. Again, wasting no time to hit you with what you need, full fat drums and bass, way colder and darker than “Break Up” though. “Icicle” lives up to its name and takes you on a frosty dance to the breakdown. Huge stabs keep this eastern bloc juggernaut rolling and keep you marching along till the next selection is dropped.
5) Chris Quirk – Crying Game – Big Alliance Records – This huge Progressive ElectroHouse track is from Douglas, UK’s Chris Quirk. Awesome huge breakdowns and grooves make this track tops in the genre! Chris has worked as a DJ for over 14 years now and in the past few years has been working hard in the studio perfecting his sound. His style is mainly Complextro and Dirty Electro being inspired by the likes of Utku S., Far Too Loud, Mord Fustang, Lucky Date and Monolythe to name a few. Big Alliance Records, founded by duo Jorge Carrasco and Luis Delgado, known in the Electronic Dance Music industry as “Monolythe”, was initially launched as a platform to release their own well-recognized productions and remixes. In 2009, Big Alliance and Monolythe decided to mark a new page on the book, as they joined forces with Straight Up! Music to open its doors to new and established artists alike, highlighting the freshest and most unique Progressive, Tech and Electro songs from the EDM world.
6) Davr – Boombox Bob – Rottun Recordings – Rottun Records is one of the world’s most prolific Bassmusic labels, with a new release every week and sometimes more. Yet somehow they nail it every time, always releasing quality tracks, and this one is no exception. Sweden’s Davr has been producing since 2010. This Drumstep style release has tough basslines and beats with hip hop style samples to it. Drumstep combines the influences of Dubstep and Drum & Bass together to create a unique sound that helps cross the bridge between the genres. Davr has already been released on Adapted Records, Caliber Records and Rottun, aligning him with some of the most exciting bass labels in the world.
7) Enigma Dubz – Making All These Moves Feat Katie McLeod – LU10 Records – This track is one of 14 featured on the new Enigma Dubz album (click through to chart and then click on the track listing to expand it and hear them all). Hailing from Birmingham, England, Enigma Dubz aka James vine has been a musician almost his whole life starting with Cello lessons at the age of 5. This album features everything from Dubstep to Future Garage to Ambient – and it’s no coincidence that this talented guy also creates EDM oriented soundtrack music under his moniker Lam-Scape. The LU10 label out of the UK is already a Satellite favorite releasing a constant stream of cutting edge UK oriented Bassmusic that’s just incredible time after time.
8 ) Wolfgang Devis – Organish – Dirty Recordz – Wolfgang Devis is a 22 year old up and coming Electro House producer from Italy. He’s only made his debut this year and already has several top quality tracks and remixes out. Dirty Recordz was founded in 2011 in Trenton , New Jersey by artists BEAZT and The Plague. They are on the search for emerging artists in the Bassmusic scene and are releasing Dubstep, Drum and Bass and Drumstep from everywhere around the world. This track features driving basslines and crazy massive organ chord sounds that Wolfgang regularly features in his music.
9) Sibot – Row Row – sSHADOWWORKs – This week’s dose of Glitch Hop comes from Cape Town, South Africa’s Sibot, featuring electronic-fied vocals, hip hop influenced beats and bassmusic style grooves. South African label sSHADOWORKSs features a roster of leading edge producers that push the envelop across the EDM genres. Very few South African musical exports are as talented and have cross as many musical boundaries as Sibot. Even before being crowned South African DJ Battle Champion 2002, this versatile DJ / Producer has been involved in many ground breaking collaborative projects. He’s becoming a well known name in today’s electronic scene both at home and abroad, Having set the bedrock for his career in 1998 with SA Hip Hop Band Max Normal, he has featured in multiple acts including Playdoe, The Real Estate Agents, Closet Snare, The Constructus Corporation and Chromoscience. An absolute musical icon – Sibot’s career has always pushed the envelope, always maintaining his core ideals. His directions have been multiple, blurring the boundaries between Hip Hop and Electronic Music, between live and DJ.
10) D3ADL1NE – Still Believing (Ground Control Mix) – Hot N Heavy – Liverpool’s D3ADL1NE is a pioneering producer in the more abstract UK based Bassmusic genres of Future Garage, UK Funky and Juke/Footwork and his productions incorporate those genres along with flavors of Dubstep, Broken Beat and House to create his unique sound. D3ADL1NE has a huge passion for creating new music and is constantly working on new projects resulting in many different genres and styles with new releases from him coming from Hot N Heavy, Crossbase, Idiosync, Up-Tempo Records, DPR and many more. Hot N Heavy is a Bay Area based label with a diverse roster that was launched in 2009 by producer Commodore 69. He established it as a way to highlight the diverse palette of Underground Dance/Bass Music from producers across the globe.
Written By: Scott Richmond